Can I change the locks if my spouse moves out?

If you and your spouse are jointly titled on the deed to your home, then you both retain a legal right to entry and use of the home.  Your spouse’s decision to move out does not surrender or terminate those legal rights.  While you may have legal authority to change the locks, your spouse may do so as well to regain entry.  If you believe that your spouse presents an imminent threat to your safety or the safety of your children, then it may be time to consider seeking a protective order.

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Shelly M. Ingram's Profile Image
Shelly has devoted her legal career to family matters both in and out of the courtroom. As a child of divorce and a person who has been divorced herself, Shelly understands the uncertainty and frustrations of custody and divorce... Read More